How to install SSL in cPanel:
Adding an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) certificate will greatly improve the security of your website.
To add an SSL to your website with Hostwinds, the first step is purchasing it from the client area or making a ticket and asking for the SSL invoice.
Once purchased, the SSL setup is relatively easy!
Please follow these steps:
1. Login to your client area, then click "Account Home" at the top left.
2. Scroll down and look for your SSL Certificate. When you find it, Click the button on the right that says "Manage".
3. The "Manage" button will lead you to scroll down an Click the hyperlink: "Configure Now".
4. Now, find the "Web Server Type:" dropdown box, and select "cPanel / WHM".
5. Open up a new tab in your browser, and enter in the IP address for your cPanel login.
6. In the new tab, once you're logged in to cPanel, click the "SSL/TLS Manager" under the "Security" tab.
7. Next, click "Generate, view, upload, or delete your private keys" under "Private Keys (KEY).
8. At the bottom where the "Host" input box is, either type your domain in or choose it from the list to the right. Don't worry about the key size. Click Generate.
9. Return to SSL Manager and generate a CSR
10. Fill in the contact information for both the page that you just went to in cPanel, and the "Administrative Contact Information" on your first Client Area tab.
11. Click "Generate". Now, highlight everything in the first box under "SSL Certificate Signing Request". Press CTRL+C. Go back into the Client Area tab and highlight everything in the "CSR" input box. Hit Ctrl+V.
12. Then, on the same tab, scroll down to the bottom and hit "Click to Continue >>"
13. Choose the certificate Approver email you want to create. DO NOT HIT CONTINUE YET -It can be any of the top six. DO NOT HIT CONTINUE YET.
14. Next, go back to the cPanel tab. Click the picture of a house at the top left, then click "Email Accounts".
15. Once there, create a new email account with one of the options located in the client tab (Certificate Approver Email) as the username.
16. Go back to the client area tab and hit "Continue >>"
17. Now, go into the inbox of the email you selected (Certificate Approver Email). To do this, go to the cPanel tab, click the drop down box next to the email address listing, and select "Access Webmail".
18. Enter in the password, and click "Log In".
19. Click "Read Mail Using Horde" (the leftmost picture).
20. Select a language, then hit "Log In".
21. Click "Inbox" at the top left and find the e-mail that was sent to your address from "email@example.com". Open it up.
22. Click the link in the email that begins with "https://regist.alphassl.com/ra"
23. A new tab should open, click "I approve" down the page a little on that new tab.
24. Log in to the email address you previously put in the blank for the text box "Email" when you were making the CSR in cPanel.
25. You should have a new e-mail titled "Your SSL Certificate for has been issued". Be patient, as it may take a while to recieve this e-mail.
26. In that email, at the very bottom, is a large block of code. Copy everything within that block by highlighting it all and hitting CTRL+C.
27. Go back to cPanel , and click "SSL/TLS Manager". Now click "Generate, view, upload, or delete SSL certificates." under "Certificates (CRT)".
28. Paste all of the block of code you highlighted from that email into the box.
29. Go to http://www.alphassl.com/support/install-root-certificate.html in a new tab (You are almost done, bear with us). Copy the code from that first box (make sure to include the -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE----- lines.)
30. Go back to the cPanel tab and paste that code right above the other block of code you put, so that they end up looking like this:
BIG BLOCK OF CODE YOU GOT FROM THE LINK
BIG BLOCK OF CODE YOU GOT FROM YOUR EMAIL
Click the "Upload" button above "Generate a New Certificate".
32. YOU ARE DONE! Congratulations. You should now be able to access your site securely using https://